Monday, February 16, 2009

Zahara de la Frontera

Jason and I visited this cute little white village called Zahara de la Frontera. It belongs to a string of country villages known as the "Route of White Villages."
One thing we really love about Europe is the narrow streets. You are always sure to find the elderly local walking around.
This is the castle that stands at the top of Zahara. It was once occupied by the Arab nation, which occupied much of Spain for hundreds of years. This castle's walls were probably 5 feet thick. You could tell just how thick the walls were by going in the entrance or looking out a window. This feature was to protect the castle from projectiles, obviously. Another interesting feature was the size of the windows. The window on the outside of the wall was very small so that arrows couldn't enter. The window on the inside of the wall, however, was very wide and allows you to move from right to left and see almost 180 degrees. Smart, huh?
Jason standing on top of the castle with another white village in the distance.

I am in one of the windows of the castle where you can see lots of olive trees (this wasn't one of the windows described above). The trees were everywhere, even on the sharpest incline. Olive trees are able to grow in such locations because of their powerful root system, which grabs hold on anything it can.

Here in Spain green olives are always served as an appetizer. Jason is not fond of them and neither am I but for some reason I always try one thinking I will change my mind.

1 comment:

joolee said...

Those olive trees remind me very much of the countryside in Greece. It was such a different type of landscape than I'd ever seen, but it was really beautiful. And yuck, no thanks on the olives!! :)